Saturday, November 28, 2009
i rarely watch regular season basketball, but i recently caught a few snippets of 2 games, both orlando coincidentally. vincey is a friggin ball hog. they have the most athletic big man (dwight howard) in the league and a true matchup nightmare in rashard lewis, but mr. carter insists on hoisting up low-percentage, mid-range garbage every time down the court. he doesn't even let them set up on offense! i was waiting for the commentators to say something about it but they never did.
vinsanity has a new meaning.
1. "okay, i'm a slight racist towards black people."
2. "when i moved here, i thought everybody was mean muggin me. not people like you, but the "darker ones". so i'd give 'em a mean look back. but then i realized they weren't mean muggin, thats just them."
3. "i was sorta disappointed that the guys out here didn't like to fight. they mostly talk sh*t like 'effin haole, effin haole' and they expect me to back down, but then i don't back down and then they go 'eff you eff you' and don't fight."
4. "when i drink i want action."
5. "i don't respect the guys in this company. they make me call 'em sarge and captain. this ain't the military. they're so serious, why don't they just become cops? do they like being disrespected and not having any power? after i get my degree i'm gonna be a cop, then to the feds... maybe US marshal, that'd be sick. my grandpa was a marshal. thats where i got my name. he wasn't nice. he was never around. he lost his wife. then got another one. she could cook. she was cool."
theres more but... maybe later.
we played 2 games. the warm up game: first team with 3 touchdowns wins. that took like 1.5 hours. the second game ("the real game"), we played to 4 TDs. that lasted like 20 minutes, we got smoked. i didn't really play in that one... no one wanted to play the center position (the guy who hikes the ball) so i did it. while our team huddled and made "plans" i just stood at the line of scrimmage and made fun of myself with the other team. i did that a few times and lost interest. spent the rest of the game sitting on the water cooler.
it could be sour grapes or it could just be that i'm old. or both. or...
Monday, November 23, 2009
testoterone is on full blast and things can get heated. dudes get chirpy and buttons get pushed. we'll see how it goes this year since i got the green light from wifey... should be fun, i heard some nutjobs are flying in from maui! other churches are bringing their best and my cousin in law and his little crew have been lifting weights and are ready to "lay some hammer." whatever, to be honest, most of these guys haven't played high school football even and are sorta living this one day fantasy.
i say i'm not gonna overdo it, but... i know how i can get. theres choke potential for me to go overboard trying to hold it down for the old guys. hopefully we all survive. pray for me!
Saturday, November 21, 2009
now i'm thinking we should just fake it. did i mention we're competing against 11 other groups who are assigned different cultures/languages? are the judges really gonna know or do the legwork to find out the legitamacy of what we're singing?
fake or no fake?
Friday, November 13, 2009
i work at a hotel and at night we have one security guard who patrols several hotels. our newest guard, i don't even know his name, is in the building patrolling as i type. earlier this evening, in a very one-sided conversation, he explained to me his workout schedule, how he spent last nights shift "macking on" 3 australian chicks who said he was "so smooth", how pleasantly surprised he is that since being employed (3 weeks) as a security guard its lead to him being laid once "with more to come", and how he got drunk 2 nights ago and got kicked out of denny's.
muscles, macking, oofing, and drinking. maybe these stories are made up, maybe they aren't, but is it really appropriate to tell them to a stranger? i guess it is if you're insecure about yourself and think that these "accomplishments" will gain you some sort of wink-and-nod, invisible, man-pat-on-the-back. i'm not sure if there are any other circumstances under which it would be appropriate. maybe thats how 19 year-old dudes act these days. maybe its how they've always acted. in which case i'm old an out of touch, which isn't a bad feeling actually.
either way you slice it when the cookie is crubmling, this is like, my most favest blog title, like, ever.
Sunday, November 8, 2009
this is my first attempt at uploading video to this blog. did it work?
anyway ronnie faisst is a member of the metal mulisha, a small group of moto x riders who built a reputation on being over the top a-hole badasses. when i used to watch the x games i thought these guys were the worst. brian deegan ("the leader")eventually even started a brand out of it. due to circumstances larger than themselves they are now christian and God is turning the negative into a positive. go to steelroots.com/uprising to see the whole episode.
God is real.