Friday, May 15, 2009

reverse stupidity

i am asian. 75% japanese, 25% chinese... supposedly. recently there have been some unfounded disputations to my blood quantum that have caused me to question my own complete asian-ness. i say all this, to say this: what really chaffs my scrotizzums is when asian people, japanese-americans particularly, from california more specifically, mispronounce their own names!

scenario: me - hotel worker (front desk). lady (white) approaches and says "cannamine." i assume this is her last name and i also assume it is italian-ish. i look through the registration cards... no dice. her husband appears beside her and i realize whats going on. he is hapa. his last name is kanamine.

what goes through my mind: okay... does he just let her say it like that? does he say it like that? does he know that she says it like that? maybe where she's from it's easier to just say it like that because mainlanders are ethnically clueless.

by trying to help me, she actually didn't help me.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha... that is hilarious. This is Cassy, btw... came across this from your sister's blog.

    ReplyDelete